Follow This 5-day Countdown to Your Quit Date
5 Days Before Your Quit Date
- Think about your reasons for quitting.
- Tell your friends and family you are planning to quit.
- Stop buying cigarettes.
4 Days Before Your Quit Date
- Pay attention to when and why you smoke.
- Think of other things to hold in your hand instead of a cigarette.
- Think of habits or routines to change.
3 Days Before Your Quit Date
- What will you do with the extra money when you stop buying cigarettes?
- Think of who to reach out to when you need help.
2 Days Before Your Quit Date
- Buy the nicotine patch or nicotine gum.
- Or see your doctor to get the nicotine inhaler, nasal spray, or the non-nicotine pill.
1 Day Before Your Quit Date
- Put away lighters and ashtrays.
- Throw away all cigarettes and matches.
- Clean your clothes to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke.
- Keep very busy.
- Remind family and friends that this is your quit day.
- Stay away from alcohol.
- Give yourself a treat, or do something special.
If you "slip" and smoke, don't give up. Set a new date to get back on track.
- Call a friend or "quit smoking" support group.
- Eat healthy food and get exercise.
For More Help
For help in quitting smoking, call the National Cancer Institute's Smoking Quitline.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health Service
The information contained in this site was produced by the CDC and has been compiled by the site owners, who are not responsible for errors or omissions. Site design trademark of hiaxis.com (c)2007